1 2/3 c Flour
1/4 c Sugar, very fine
1/2 ts Salt
10 tb Butter -chilled
2 Egg yolks
1 ts Vanilla extract
2 ts -cold water
1. Sift flour, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl. Cut chilled sweet
butter into pieces into the bowl. Using your fingertips, rapidly rub
the butter and dry ingredients together until th mixture resembles
course meal. Be careful to use only your fingertips as your palms
will warm the dough.
2. Stir egg yolks, vanilla and water together and add to the flour-
butter mixture and blend in, using a fork. Shape dough into a ball.
This should not take more than 30 to 45 seconds.
3. Place the ball of dough onto a pastry board. With the heel of
your hand, smear about ? cup of dough away from you into a 6- to
8-inch smear; repeat until all the dough has been dealt with. Scrape
dough together; re- form into a ball, wrap in wax paper and chill for
2 to 3 hours.
4. Roll out dough between two sheets of wax paper, or use a floured
pastry cloth and floured stockinette on your rolling pin, into a round
large enough to line your pan. Work quickly, as the dough can become
5. Line either an 8- or 9-inch false-bottom tart pan with dough,
fitting it loosely into pan and pressing to fit sides. Trim edges 3/4
inch outside top of pan, and fold this edge over into inside, and
press into place with fingers. Chill.
6. Preheat over to 425?F.
7. Line dough in the tart pan with a piece of aluminium foil or wax
paper and fill with raw beans, rice or pastry weights. Bake for 8
minutes. Remove weights and foil. Prick the bottom of the dough with
a fork in several places. For a partially baked shell, return to oven
for 3 to 4 minutes longer. For a fully baked shell, return for 8 to
10 minutes longer, or until edges are light brown. [One 8-inch to
=The Silver Palate Cookbook=